Following a passing reference in a blog post to the Proust Questionnaire, I was reminded of the famous ’10 Questions’ that James Lipton asks every guest, towards the end of each interview Inside the Actors Studio.
Since its premiere, Inside the Actors Studio has had over 200 guests. Of those guests, the very first having been Paul Newman, were succeeded by 74 Academy Award winners: 8 directors; four screenwriters; 61 actors and actresses; and two musicians.
ITAS has been one of my all-time favourite interview serieson any subject, and I’ve always looked forward to the brief but insightful 10-question Q&A with each guest.
According to Wikipedia, the questionnaire concept was originated by French television personality Bernard Pivot, after the Proust Questionnaire. The ten questions Lipton asks are:
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
- What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Answers to these can tell you a lot about a person, don’t you think?