A forwarded email came with a presentation on the “Price of Children“. The purpose of that communication was to show how, even though bringing up children costs a significant sum, the benefits far outweigh the costs involved.
Be that as it may, it also served as a great reminder of the joy that only children can bring to our lives. Here’s a brief extract:
As a parent, you get …
- Naming rights : First, middle and last!
- Glimpses of God every day, and giggles under the cover, each night
- More love than your heart can hold
- Endless wonder… over rocks, ants, clouds and cookies
- A partner for blowing bubbles… and flying kites
- Someone to laugh with… no matter what the boss said, or how the stocks performed
- To finger-paint, play hide-n-seek, catch fireflies
- Keep reading… and reading… the Adventures of piglet and Pooh
- Go to Disney movies… and wish on stars
- Handmade greeting cards with backward letters!
- To be a hero just for removing a splinter, or filling a wading pool
- A front row seat to witness the first step, word, bra, date, drive!
- Another branch added to your family tree… immortality!
In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God… You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits – so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost.
Isn’t it all worth it, just for one of these benefits ?!